The School Transport Assistance Scheme (STAS) provides subsidised public transport for eligible school students whilst making journeys between home and school. This scheme is administered by Department of Transport & Main Roads. For detailed information about the scheme visit www.tmr.qld.gov.au then select travel and transport for school transport section.
In summary there are 2 types of bus transport assistance available to eligible students. These are as follows and should only be used as a guide. Visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads website for full details.
Distance based assistance:
- Primary school students must live more than 3.2km from the nearest state primary school.
- Secondary school students must live more then 4.8km from the nearest state secondary school.
- Non – state school students must live more than the required distance from both the nearest state and non – state school of their type attended.
Safety – Net assistance:
- Primary school students must live less than 3.2km from nearest state primary school.
- Secondary school students must live less than 4.8km from the nearest state secondary school.
- Non- state school students must live the required distances or less from either the nearest state or non-state school of type attended.
Where a journey for a student exceeds the journey funded by Department of Transport & Main Roads (Department of Transport & Main Roads funds to the nearest state school or the school attended whichever is closest) an excess fare applies.
Any excess fare for the student is the responsibility of the parent/ guardian of the eligible student and is to be paid directly to the bus operator. This means parents/guardians who choose to send their child to a school other than the closest will be required to pay a fare from nearest school to the school attended.
Changing address, school or name will require a new application to be submitted. These details must all be the same as school registration, as any difference could result in transport assistance being cancelled.
How to apply
Applications must be made within 7 days of the student starting to travel on the bus. A SIT Card will be issued once approved.
- Print off the applicable application form (PDF).
Ensure all sections are fully completed. Failure to complete form fully will result in form being returned.
Return the completed application via email to ua.mo1539923635c.eci1539923635vress1539923635ubsgn1539923635uoy@n1539923635oitpe1539923635cer1539923635 or post:
Young’s Bus Service
P.O. Box 8189
ALLENSTOWN, QLD 4700.