Passengers who take a trip and do not pay the fare are in breach of section 143A of the Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Act 1994 – Chapter 11A “Fare evasion and other offences”.
What is fare evasion?
A person evades payment of a fare in relation to a public passenger vehicle if the person –
- Does not pay the fare lawfully required to
- Attempts to travel on an invalid ticket.
- Travels on a concession fare without being entitled to the concession.
- Travels without a valid ticket.
Invalid Ticket means a ticket for a journey for which a ticket is required that is used or attempted to be used –
- To over travel the fare that was paid for.
- For a journey that is not the journey for which the ticket was issued.
- If the ticket is non transferable by a person who is not the first user of the ticket.
Further information on Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Act 1994 is available at www.legislation.qld.gov.au under Acts, SL as made.
‘Passengers play fair by paying the fare’.